In 1789, after consulting the Schwetzingen court gardener Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell, Elector Carl Theodor decided to turn the hunting grounds on the River Isar into a public park. The project was begun by Benjamin Thompson (later Reichsgraf von Rumford), and continued in 1798 by Freiherr von Werneck.
With the dam by Riedl as protection against flooding, the first paths were created and trees planted, and a number of architectural features were built: in 1789 the Apollo Temple (replaced by the Stone Bench of 1838), in 1790 the Chinese Tower and the farm building, in 1791 the Military Hall (today the Rumford Hall), in 1793 an amphitheatre (no longer in existence), in 1796 the Rumford Monument and in 1803 the "Harmlos" statue at the southern entrance.
In 1799 the Military Garden at the edge of the park was incorporated into the park together with around 100 hectares of land in the Hirschau. The lake – the Kleinhesseloher See – was created from 1800.
In 1804 Sckell was appointed Superintendent of all the Bavarian gardens and parks and moved to Munich. He produced plans and drew up a memorandum showing how the still rather unfinished grounds could be turned into an artistically designed park. The implementation of these plans continued right up until the death of Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell in 1823. In the following year, King Max I Joseph erected a monument to him by the Kleinhesseloher See. In 1837 the Monopteros was built on an artificial hill.
With an area of 376 hectares respectively 417 hectares (including the Maximilian Park, Court and Finance Gardens), the English Garden is one of the largest inner-city parks in the world (larger than Central Park in New York and Hyde Park in London). It extends from the Court and Finance Gardens at Odeonsplatz into the open countryside far to the north of the city.
Of the total area of 417 hectares, around 130 ha is woodland, 186 ha meadows and 16 ha water.
The network of paths in the English Garden covers a total of 78 km (of which ca 12 km are bridle-paths).
The largest area of water in the English Garden is the Kleinhesseloher See with an area of around 8 ha.
The streams in the English Garden have a total length of around 15 km.
There are over 100 bridges and footbridges in the English Garden.
In addition to the 50 – 60 species of bird that breed in the English Garden, there are also hedgehogs, squirrels, wild rabbits, hares and foxes.
A total of 60 employees are involved in the administration and maintenance of the English Garden.
The Free State of Bavaria invests approximately 2.5 million euros annually in the maintenance of the park (2.7 million euros if the upkeep of the buildings is included).
More than 5 million people visit the English Garden every year.
There are four restaurants (Aumeister, Chinese Tower, Hirschau and Seehaus) and four kiosks available for the park's visitors.
The beer garden at the Chinese Tower is with its 7,000 seats one of the largest beer gardens in Bavaria.
Problems have been caused through changes in the behaviour of visitors (use of the meadows, e.g. for nude sunbathing, the wearing of paths across the grass) as well as vandalism and damage.
Through good cooperation with the security service and a strong police presence, the problems caused by dealers and drug-takers at the Monopteros have been almost entirely eliminated.
Around 120 tons of rubbish have to be collected and disposed of annually. The main part is caused by weekend visitors who throw their rubbish on the grass.
| top |
Open all year round
Historic children's merry-go-round at the Chinese Tower
April to October: in good weather daily from 2 pm
Japanese tea ceremony from April to October every second weekend in the month: Sat/Sun at 2, 3, 4 and 5 pm
Englischer Garten 3
Bus to "Chinesischer Turm", tram to "Tivolistraße"
Underground parking at "Max-Joseph-Platz" and "Marstallplatz" (here are also bus parking spaces available)
Coach trips through the English Garden
Trips by rickshaw through the English Garden 089 2421688-0
Verwaltung des Englischen Gartens München
Englischer Garten 2
Fax 089 3866639-23
| top |