Willibaldsburg Castle – Eichstätt

Picture: Willibaldsburg Castle

The castle complex on the Willibaldsberg was begun in 1355 and extended in the second half of the 16th century under Martin von Schaumberg. It was transformed into an impressive residence by Elias Holl during the reign of Prince-Bishop Johann Conrad von Gemmingen (1595-1612) – at this stage of the building's history the towers were crowned by onion domes.

Gemmingen also laid out the renowned botanical garden "Hortus Eystettensis". Based on the copperplate engravings illustrating the plant collection which were created in 1613 by Basilius Besler, the Bastion Garden opened in 1998 reproduces the plant world of the original botanical garden.

Bastion Garden

| top |


Object information:

Address

Burgstraße 19
85072 Eichstätt
Telefon 08421 4730

Opening hours

April-September: 9 am-6 pm
October-March: 10 am-4 pm
closed Mondays

Closed on: January 1, Shrove Tuesday, December 24/25/31

General information on opening times and admission charges

Guided tours

No regular guided tours

Further information

Further information

Service (leaflets, photo/film, links …)

Information for visitors with reduced mobility:

Most of the Jura Museum is accessible for wheelchair users; the access to the Bastion garden is difficult because of steep slopes

Museums under different administration:

Jura Museum (Branch of the Bavarian State Scientific Collections)
telephone 08421 2956

Museum of Pre- and Early History (Historical Association of Eichstätt)
telephone 08421 89450

Gardens

Bastion Garden

Nearest railway station:

Eichstätt-Stadt
www.bahn.com

Public transport with nearest stop:

Bus to the castle (bus stop below the castle)

Parking space:

50 car parking spaces and 3 bus parking spaces available

Responsible administrative office

Schloss- und Gartenverwaltung Ansbach
Promenade 27
91522 Ansbach
Telefon 0981 953839-0
Fax 0981 953839-40
sgvansbach@ bsv.bayern.de

| top |