Around this garden area with its many design features was an extensive park created primarily from the existing woods. Two groups of six straight avenues cut across the park on either side of the canal, to which Effner added a cascade at the western end of the park. Each group radiated out from a central point with a pavilion, which in the northern group was the Pagodenburg and in the southern group the Badenburg, both built by Effner. Both buildings were surrounded by formal gardens with pools and hedges.
In 1725/28 Effner also built the Magdalenenklause, in a secluded wooded section north of the bosket close to the palace. On the east side of the palace is the cour d'honneur, designed as a garden, which acquired its present form under Elector Karl Albrecht with the crescent of buildings ("Rondell") in front of the palace that was begun in 1728 and completed in 1758.
In the course of the 18th century, further architectural features and a variety of statues were added to the park. In 1734/39 the Amalienburg was built by François Cuvilliés the Elder next to the southern bosket area. From 1769 the "Large Parterre" was decorated with the ornamental vases and statues of the gods that can still be seen today.
In the second half of the 18th century, the landscape garden developed in England became increasingly popular in Germany, and Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell was commissioned to transform the geometric baroque complex. He retained the sections along the central axis – the basic structure of the parterre and the central canal with the cascade – and replaced the original geometric axis and avenue system with natural design elements.
Through the introduction of so-called "ha-has" – where stretches of garden wall were sunk and thus rendered invisible – Sckell extended the park visually beyond its borders into the surrounding countryside. By 1799/1800 he had already laid out gardens between the Amalienburg and the Large Parterre for the children of the electoral couple.
Overall von Sckell succeeded in creating a classical landscape garden of outstanding quality, the particular attractions of which lie in the retention of striking features of the garden from previous, totally different style epochs. The basic structure of the park has remained virtually unchanged to the present day.
Further information and tips for visitors can be found at
| top |
Opening times (main gate):
January-March, November, December: 6 am-6 pm
April and October: 6 am-8 pm
May-September: 6 am-9.30 pm
The other park gates will be closed half an hour earlier.
The fountains usually run from Easter to mid-October from 10 am to noon and from 2 pm to 4 pm.
The historical pump systems in the park’s pump houses are open daily from 10 am to 4 pm from Easter to the beginning of October.
During the summer season, gondola rides are offered every day (in fine weather) on the central canal. Further information can be obtained at www.gondel-nymphenburg.de or by calling the gondola ride number 0175 6000468.
From April to mid-October the exhibition "Friedrich Ludwig von Sckell and Nymphenburg" is on display in the Geranium House daily from 9 am to 6 pm. The admission is free.
Shop at the palace
There is a passage from the palace park to the Munich Botanic Garden
Café im Palmenhaus
Hartmannshofer Straße 20
Tram to "Romanplatz",
bus or tram to "Schloss Nymphenburg"
450 car parking spaces, 25 bus parking spaces available
| top |