Burghausen Castle

Picture: Burghausen Castle

Burghausen Castle, with almost all of its medieval fortifications still intact, extends over a length of more than 1000 metres and is one of the largest castle complexes in the world. From 1255 on it was the second residence of the dukes of Lower Bavarian and the court of their consorts.

In the late Middle Ages Duke Georg der Reiche (George the Rich) turned the castle with its six courtyards into the strongest fortress in the country. In the historic Great Hall (Palas) are the ducal apartments and the castle chapel dedicated to St Elisabeth.

The State Gallery has a collection of late Gothic panel paintings and a monumental picture cycle illustrating the history of Bavaria.

There is a magnificent view of the surroundings from the viewing platform on the roof.

 

 

Further information you will find on
www.burg-burghausen.de



Event rooms at Burghausen Castle

Picture: Porter's Lodge

Torwartstube (Porter's Lodge)

The Porter's Lodge is suitable for banquets, receptions and civil weddings up to 60 persons.


Picture: Knights' Hall

Dürnitz (Knights' Hall)

The Knights' Hall is suitable for banquets, receptions, concerts and exhibitions up to 200 persons.


Picture: Gothic Hall

Gotische Halle (Gothic Hall)

The Gothic Hall is suitable for exhibitions (otherwise only in connection with the Dürnitz or the Castle Courtyard) up to 99 persons.


Picture: St Elisabeth's Chapel

Elisabethkapelle (St Elisabeth's Chapel)

The St Elisabeth's Chapel is suitable for weddings up to 100 persons.


Picture: St Hedwig's Chapel

Hedwigskapelle (St Hedwig's Chapel)

The St Hedwig's Chapel is suitable for for weddings up to 110 persons.

| top |


Object information:

Address

Burg Nr. 48
84489 Burghausen
Telephone (0 86 77) 46 59
fax (0 86 77) 6 56 74
www.burg-burghausen.de

Responsible administrative office

Burgverwaltung Landshut
Burg Trausnitz 168
84036 Landshut
Telefon (08 71) 9 24 11-0
Infoline (08 71) 9 24 11-44
Fax (08 71) 9 24 11-40
burgverwaltung.landshut@ bsv.bayern.de
www.burg-trausnitz.de

Opening hours

April-September: 9 am-6 pm
October-March:10 am-4 pm
open daily

Closed on: January 1, Shrove Tuesday, December 24/25/31

Renovation of the castle bridges until spring 2015

The three bridges of Burghausen Castle are currently being comprehensively renovated and are thus being closed one after the other. Visitors will then only be able to cross the moat on provisional footbridges and cars cannot drive over the bridges while the work is in progress. The State Castle Museum is however still open every day.

Guided tours

No regular guided tours

Further information

Information for the disabled:

Rooms only accessible via  staircase; castle court in the main accessible; access from the town via steep ways and steps 

Museums under different administration:

Historical Town Museum
tel (0 86 77) 6 51 98
fax (0 86 77) 87 88 28
closed until 2015

House of Photography –
Dr. Robert-Gerlich- Museum (belonging to the Town of Burghausen)
tel (0 86 77) 47 34
fax (0 86 77) 91 11 27

Shop:

Shop
www.kulturgut.de

Franchised restaurants and hotels:

Burgcafé
Tel. (0 86 77) 8 77-3 40
www.burgcafe-burghausen.de

Nearest railway station:

Burghausen
www.bahn.com

Public transport with nearest stop:

Bus to "Ludwigsberg"

Parking space:

Parking spaces available

| top |