The Residenz originated as a small moated castle, built in 1385, and was gradually expanded by the Wittelsbach rulers who used it until 1918 as their residence and seat of government.
Highlights are the Antiquarium (Hall of Antiquities), the largest secular Renaissance hall north of the Alps, the early 17th-century rooms, including the Reiche Kapelle (Ornate Chapel), the Steinzimmer (Stone Rooms) and the Trierzimmer (Trier Rooms), the magnificent Rococo Rooms (Ancestral Gallery and Ornate Rooms by François Cuvilliés the Elder) and the neoclassical Königsbau (King's Tract) created by Leo von Klenze.
Also on display are special collections such as silver, ecclesiastical vestments and porcelain from Europe and East Asia.
The tour of the Residenz comprises the remarkable Nottbohm Collection of European Miniatures, an extensive collection of fine miniatures dating from the late sixteenth century to the mid-nineteenth.
Further information you will find on
| top |
28 March-18 October:
9 am-6 pm (last entry: 5 pm)
10 am-5 pm (last entry: 4 pm)
Closed on: January 1, Shrove Tuesday, December 24/25/31
Due to restoration work the Königsbau (King's Tract) and the Collection of European Porcelain cannot be visited at the moment.
No regular guided tours
Free audio guide available in German, English, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian
7 euros regular
6 euros reduced
(Residenz Museum/ Treasury)
11 euros regular
9 euros reduced
(Residenz Museum/ Treasury/ Cuvilliés-Theater)
13 euros regular
10.50 euros reduced
Rooms only accessible via staircase
Bavarian State Numismatic Collection
tel (0 89) 22 72 21
Tel. (0 89) 22 56 28
Tel. (0 89) 29 69 73
Schumann's Bar am Hofgarten
Tel. (0 89) 22 90 60
"Odeonsplatz" or "Marienplatz"
Bus to "Odeonsplatz",
tram to "Nationaltheater"
Underground parking at "Max-Joseph-Platz"
| top |