Field Marshals' Hall (Feldherrnhalle) – Munich

Picture: Field Marshals' Hall

The Field Marshals' Hall, which was modelled on the "Loggia dei Lanzi" in Florence, was commissioned by King Ludwig I to honour the Bavarian army and its victorious generals. It was designed by Friedrich von Gärtner and built from 1841 to 1844.

The bronze statues of Count Tilly and Prince Wrede were sculpted by Ludwig von Schwanthaler and cast from melted-down cannons. The "army monument" in the centre of the hall was added in 1892 by Prince Regent Luitpold. This monumental bronze group created by Ferdinand von Miller the Younger commemorates the German-French war in 1870/71. The marble lions flanking the steps are the work of Wilhelm Ruemann and date from 1905.

When the National Socialists came to power in 1933, the Field Marshals' Hall became a cult centre of the "movement", since on 9 November 1923 a procession of rebels, among them Adolf Hitler, had been stopped here by the Bavarian police on their way to the Ministry of War. In the shooting that followed, there were deaths and injuries on both sides. A memorial designed by Paul Ludwig Troost was installed in the Field Marshals' Hall in 1933 to commemorate the dead, and there was also an annual "celebration" here. In 1945 the memorial was removed. Today a small bronze plaque in front of the hall commemorates the four policemen killed in the attempted putsch.

| top |


Object information:

Address

Residenzstraße 1
80333 München
Telefon 089 29067-1
www.residenz-muenchen.de

Further information

Further information

Service (leaflets, photo/film, links …)

Information for visitors with reduced mobility:

Interior only accessible via a flight of steps

Franchised restaurants and hotels:

Pfälzer Residenzweinstube
Telefon 089 225628
www.pfaelzerweinstube.de

Welser Kuche
Residenzstraße 27
Telefon 089 296973

Schumann's Bar am Hofgarten
Odeonsplatz 6/7
Telefon 089 229060

Nearest railway station:

Munich
www.bahn.com

Public transport with nearest stop:

"Marienplatz"

Public transport with nearest stop:

"Odeonsplatz"

Public transport with nearest stop:

Bus to "Odeonsplatz",
tram to "Nationaltheater"

Parking space:

Underground parking at "Max-Joseph-Platz"

Responsible administrative office

Verwaltung der
Residenz München
Residenzstraße 1
80333 München
Telefon 089 29067-1
Fax 089 29067-225
ResidenzMuenchen@ bsv.bayern.de
www.residenz-muenchen.de

| top |