Object description:

Zwernitz Castle – Wonsees

Picture: Zwernitz Castle

Zwernitz Castle was originally the hereditary seat of the Walpodes of Upper Franconia. The keep and the tithe barn made of rusticated ashlars are part of the original Romanesque complex built in 1200. In 1338 the castle came into the possession of the Hohenzollern family. Around two centuries later the half-timbered buildings of the lower castle were added. When the rock garden was laid out, it was designed to incorporate a view of the castle located on a natural elevation above it.

An interesting exhibition in the castle complex documents the history of Zwernitz Castle, its inhabitants, and Sanspareil. From the keep there is a magnificent panoramic view of the Franconian Switzerland Natural Park.

 

Hunting in the time of the margraves

The courtly coursing, painting by Kleemann brothers

The permanent exhibition "Hunting in the time of the margraves" documents hunting as pursued by the court in the two margraviates of Ansbach and Bayreuth at the height of its popularity in the 18th century. With impressive exhibits and informative descriptions a fascinating picture is created of court hunting in a world long since past.

show more

Right next to the castle lies Sanspareil Rock Garden with its bizarre rock formations and the Oriental Building:

Sanspareil Rock Garden
Oriental Building

 

 

»The world of Wilhelmine«
www.bayreuth-wilhelmine.de



The following rooms are available for your events:


Address

Sanspareil 29
96197 Wonsees
Telephone 09274 808909-11
www.bayreuth-wilhelmine.de

Responsible administrative office

Schloss- und Gartenverwaltung
Bayreuth-Eremitage
Ludwigstraße 21
95444 Bayreuth
Telefon 0921 75969-0
Fax 0921 75969-15
sgvbayreuth@ bsv.bayern.de
www.bayreuth-wilhelmine.de

Current information for visitors

To protect visitors from COVID-19, this object must remain closed until further notice.

Here you will find general information and FAQs for visiting our sights during the restrictions due to COVID-19.

Further information

Further information

Service (leaflets, photo/film, links …)

Information for visitors with reduced mobility:

Rooms only accessible via staircase

Franchised restaurants and hotels:

Schlosscafé
Telefon 0151 24114274
der_opel@web.de

Parking space:

Car and bus parking spaces at the entrance to the park

Responsible administrative office

Schloss- und Gartenverwaltung
Bayreuth-Eremitage
Ludwigstraße 21
95444 Bayreuth
Telefon 0921 75969-0
Fax 0921 75969-15
sgvbayreuth@ bsv.bayern.de
www.bayreuth-wilhelmine.de


 
show background
show content
increase contrasts
Use standard view