The summer palace of the Würzburg Prince-Bishops, built in 1680/82, was enlarged in 1753 by Balthasar Neumann.
The rooms furnished in 1810 for Grand Duke Ferdinand of Tuscany with their rare paper wall-coverings are a highlight of the interior.
The famous Rococo garden, a magnificent creation with lakes and waterworks, dates from the reign of Prince-Bishop Adam Friedrich von Seinsheim (1755-1779). It is populated by over 200 sandstone sculptures of gods, animals and allegorical figures by the court sculptors Ferdinand Tietz and Johann Peter Wagner.
On the ground floor of the palace the exhibition "Es kommen immer Leit aus Würzburg und Frembde hierher …" on the history of Veitshöchheim Court Garden is on display.
| top |
9 am-6 pm
closed 16 October-March
From April to October daily from 1 pm to 5 pm every hour on the hour
The rooms on the upper floor can only be visited within in a guided tour.
Guided tours (in German) every hour from 10 am to 4.45 pm (approximately 30 minutes, maximum 25 people)
The exhibition on the history of Veitshöchheim Court Garden at the ground floor (included in the admission charge) can be visited without a guided tour.
There is an audio guide tour through the Court Garden available (with costs).
(Palace/ garden exhibition/ audioguide for the garden)
4.50 euros regular
3.50 euros reduced
Only garden exhibition and audio guide for the garden:
2 euros regular
1 euro reduced
The rooms are only accessible via a staircase.
The Rococo Garden is open all year round until nightfall (8 pm at the latest)
Bus to "Kirchplatz"
From Würzburg "Alter Kranen" to Veitshöchheim "Mainlände"
(Easter to October)
Car parking spaces by the river Main
| top |