This massive fortress belonged from 1338 to 1791 to the Burgraves of Nuremberg and subsequent Margraves of Brandenburg, members of the Hohenzollern family. In 1559, Georg Friedrich von Ansbach commissioned Caspar Visher to build a four-winged complex. The Schöne Hof (Beautiful Courtyard), an arcaded courtyard richly decorated with relief work, is one of the finest examples of German Renaissance art.
Further highlights are the museum "The Hohenzollerns in Franconia", the "Frederick the Great Army Museum" (Windsheimer Collection) and the Margravial Rooms with historic pictures of the construction work, portraits of margraves and the gilt canopied bed of Margravine Maria (around 1630).
April-October: 9 am-6 pm
November-March: 10 am-4 pm
Closed on: January 1, Shrove Tuesday, December 24/25/31
The Museum "The Hohenzollerns in Franconia" can be visited only with a guided tour (in German)
9.15 am-3.15 pm every hour and at 4.30 pm
10.15 am-1.15 pm every hour,
at 2.30 pm, and on request
The Army Museum, the Margravial Rooms and the castle church can be visited without a guided tour.
Guided tours on the castle (outside; in German)
1 May-30 September:
every Saturday at 2.15 pm
(approximately 90 minutes)
4.50 euros regular
3.50 euros reduced
Castle ticket: 7 euros
(including the municipal museums at Plassenburg Castle)
Margravial Rooms and museum "The Hohenzollerns in Franconia": only accessible via staircase
"Landschaftsmuseum Obermain": ground floor accessible, first floor only accessible via staircase
"Zinnfigurenmuseum": accessible for wheelchair users; toilet for the disabled available
(German Tin Figure Museum, run by the town of Kulmbach)
(Museum of the Upper Main Region, run by the town of Kulmbach)
Free wi-fi available
Café & Burgschänke
From Bayreuth: Bus to "Kulmbach/ Busbahnhof"
Bus services in Kulmbach:
No parking available at the castle