In 1853 King Maximilian II of Bavaria commissioned Peter Joseph Lenné to design a landscape park on the west shore of the Starnberger See. The park, which combines decorative formal and natural landscape elements, was laid out by Carl von Effner. The palace commenced much later in 1863 was abandoned on the early death of the king in March 1864.
Rose Island with its small island villa, the "Casino", and a rose garden also designed by Lenné, was one of the favourite places of Maximilian's son Ludwig II; among the special guests he received here were Tsarina Maria Alexandrovna, Richard Wagner and Empress Elisabeth of Austria.
The remains of prehistoric pile dwellings on the bottom of Lake Starnberg by Rose Island have been included on UNESCO’s World Cultural Heritage list.
Usually the first blossom begins around mid-June, the second around mid-August, each lasting for about 4 weeks. Depending on the climate the roses may bloom (even weeks) earlier or later.
Wittelsbacher Park 1
For a visit to our sights, the 2G plus rule applies at present.
You can only visit the Casino on Rose Island on a guided tour (clearly reduced group size).
The small museum of island history in the former gardener's house must unfortunately remain closed until further notice.
Casino (Royal Villa)
Mai-15 Oct: 12.15-5.30 pm
(cash desk + shop: 12 pm-6 pm)
closed Mondays (except: 1 May, Whit Monday, 15 August, 3 October)
The visit of the Casino is only possible with a guided tour (in German, ca. 25 mins, max 5 people):
12.15 pm-4.15 pm every hour,
last guided tour: 5 pm
Weekends / holidays:
12.15 pm-4.15 pm every half hour, last guided tour: 5 pm
Ferry service from Feldafing Park to Rose Island (May to mid-October) in good weather;
for details please call
Rose Island is open to the public; it is not allowed to bring dogs or bicycles to the island.
Ramp to the ground floor of the "Casino"; 1st floor only accessible via steps
from Munich to "Feldafing"
Außenstelle Starnberger See
Fax 08151 550730-9
seeverwaltung. starnbergersee@ bsv.bayern.de