In around 1130, Archbishop Konrad of Salzburg established a canonical foundation of the Order of St Augustine in place of an 8th-century Benedictine monastery. It was later redesigned in the baroque style and was dissolved in 1803. King Ludwig II acquired the island in 1873 as the site of his new palace and established his own private quarters in the so-called Convent Tract (east wing) of the monastery. The king's rooms are part of the museum. In 1948 the Constitutional Assembly met in the dining room to draw up the Grundgesetz (constitution) for the Federal Republic of Germany.
However, "From the monastery to the king's palace" and "The Birth of a Constitution" – both located in the Convent Tract (east wing) – are only two parts of the museum.
On the first upper floor of the Convent Tract is the Maler am Chiemsee Gallery, and in the Princes' Tract (south wing) the magnificent Imperial Hall, the Garden Room and the Court Kitchen can be seen.
Imperial Hall in the Princes' Tract
Besides, in the Prelacy Tract (north wing) the monastery complex houses the Julius Exter Art Gallery.
North of the Augustinian monastery (Old Palace) is the former parish church of St Maria, a late-Gothic building redesigned in the baroque style with a remarkable coffered ceiling installed in 1630. In front of the monastery seminary dating from 1740, which is today a restaurant, is the "Plane Tree Grove" planted in 1893, from which there is a splendid view of the Fraueninsel.
Further information and tips for visitors can be found at
| top |
Museum in the Augustinian Monastery (with Maler am Chiemsee Gallery and Princes' Tract)
31 March-27 October:
9 am-6 pm
28 October-30 March:
10 am-4.45 pm
Closed on: January 1, Shrove Tuesday, December 24/25/31
Julius Exter Art Gallery
31 March-27 October: 9 am-6 pm
closed 28 October-30 March
No regular guided tours
(boat trip not included)
4 euros regular
3 euros reduced
Combination ticket "Island" until 10 May and from 4 October
(Herrenchiemsee New Palace with King Ludwig II-Museum / Augustinian Monastery/ boat trip not included)
9 euros regular
8 euros reduced
Free wi-fi available
Café im Neuen Schloss
"Chiemseebahn" (in summer) or bus (in winter) to "Schiffsanlegestelle Prien/Stock"
Regular boats from Prien/ Stock or Gstadt
| top |