Object description:

Maschikuli Tower and Casemate at Marienberg Fortress – Würzburg

Picture: Maschikuli Tower

The massive, four-storey tower was built in 1724-1729 by Balthasar Neumann to guard the south flank of the fortress. Above the three levels for heavy artillery is a platform for riflemen. In addition to the normal firing slits it has a further 21 vertical openings, angled downwards: these are the "Maschikulis" from which the tower takes its name.

On the valley side the tower is decorated with coats of arms of the Prince Bishop Christoph Franz von Hutten dating from 1727, the work of Jakob van der Auvera. Above them is a bust of St Nepomuk.

show more

Marienberg Fortress
Princes' Garden


Festung Marienberg
97082 Würzburg
Telephone 0931 35517-50

Information for visitors/ COVID-19

To protect visitors from COVID-19, this object must remain closed until further notice.

Further information

Further information

Service (leaflets, photo/film, links …)

Information for visitors with reduced mobility:

Rooms in the fortess only accessible via staircase


Shop at Prince's Building

Nearest railway station:


Public transport with nearest stop:

Bus to "Festung"
(April-October only)

Parking space:

Car park and 10 bus parking spaces available (with costs)

Responsible administrative office

Schloss- und Gartenverwaltung Würzburg
Residenzplatz 2, Tor B
97070 Würzburg
Telefon 0931 35517-0
Fax 0931 35517-25
sgvwuerzburg@ bsv.bayern.de

show background
show content
increase contrasts
Use standard view